How do you turn a creative idea into a successful business? Discover the basics of starting up a business on this practical 3-part course presented by Creative Entrepreneurs.
Through the three seminar discussions below, led by industry experts and hands-on activities, participants will learn the skills and knowledge they need to begin to turn their creative ideas into business reality.
Session One: How to NetworkTuesday 6th November by Carolyn Dailey, Founder of Creative Entrepreneurs
• Overview – what makes things happen today – the power of connection
• Preparation – defining goals, research, preparing marketing materials
• Networking in action – lay of the land, strategies & techniques
• Harnessing trust & reciprocity – cultivating long-term relationships
Session Two: Financial Basics for Creative Start-UpsTuesday 13th November by Shaun Beaney, Institute of Chartered Accountants & Martin Carruthers, GrantThornton
• What are the common characteristics of creative industry businesses?
• Company basics – key considerations on setting up, organisation and share structures
• People basics – employees, freelancers & consultants how to incentivise and retain key creative individuals
• IP basics – IP overview, understanding what you own and how to exploit and protect it
Session Three: Legal Basics for Creative StartupsTuesday 20th November by Simon Goodbody, Efrat Gordon & Joshua Metliss, Lee & Thompson
• Accounting basics – information tracking & financial planning
• Tax basics – corporate tax overview, HMRC, VAT, SEIS
• Fundraising basics – friends & family, angel investment, startup loans (crowdfunding to be mentioned, but not covered in detail)