London’s Palace Theatre. Credit: Getty
Arts Council England has said it will prioritise artists and individuals when it reopens its grant programme again this month, amid concerns the government’s billion-pound cultural investment package will not support freelancers.
ACE chief executive Darren Henley said the government had been clear its £1.57 billion funding will be based around protecting the UK’s cultural infrastructure, and promised the Arts Council was “urgently thinking” about how the arts’ freelance workforce can be helped.
ACE’s National Lottery Project Grants scheme was paused earlier this year when the Arts Council diverted funds towards its Covid-19 emergency response programme, however the scheme will reopen for applications again on July 22.