You have an exciting creative idea that you think you could be a business – or it already is a business and you want to grow it faster. Perhaps you’ve been spurred into action by the new COVID reality.
Startup Essentials: Business Basics will arm you with the range of skills you need to bring your vision to life – whether it’s setting up a digital agency, a video content platform, an online boutique or any other creative business.
Curated by Creative Entrepreneurs in collaboration with the Design Museum, each session of this three-part course is delivered by a leading industry expert. The key basics of networking, legal and finance, including hands-on interactive activities, will be covered on Zoom. Participants will also be offered the chance to ask questions directly to experts.
Session One: Networking Basics – 21 July
- Overview – the power of connection: how to network, including during social distancing
- Preparation – defining goals, research, preparing marketing materials
- Networking in action – lay of the land, strategies and techniques
- Harnessing reciprocity and trust – cultivating long term relationships
Session Two: Legal Basics – 28 July
- What are the common characteristics of creative industry businesses?
- Organisation basics – freelancer, sole trader, limited company and share structures
- People basics – employees, freelancers and consultants, how to incentivize and retain key individuals particularly when working remotely
- IP basics – IP overview, understanding what you own and how to exploit and protect it
Session Three: Finance Basics – 4 August
- Accounting basics – information tracking, bookkeeping and financial planning
- Tax basics – corporate tax overview, HMRC, VAT, SEIS
- Fundraising basics – business plan and pitch deck, friends and family, angel investment, how to approach fundraising during social distancing