How do you turn a creative idea into a successful business? Whether it’s setting up a design studio, digital agency, photography business or running a gallery, knowing the basics of business is an essential part of creating a new venture.
Curated by Creative Entrepreneurs, this three-part evening course will provide you with the essential skills to start your creative business journey. Through seminar discussions led by experts and hands-on activities, participants will cover topics including the art of networking, legal and finance basics.
14 May 2019
Creative Startup Essentials – The Art of Networking with Carolyn Dailey, Creative Entrepreneurs
- Overview – the power of connection: how things happen today
- Preparation – defining goals, research, preparing marketing materials
- Networking in action – lay of the land, strategies and techniques
- Harnessing reciprocity and trust – cultivating long term relationships
21 May 2019
Creative Startup Essentials – Legal Basics with Lee & Thompson
- What are the common characteristics if creative industry businesses?
- Company basics – key considerations when setting up, organization and share structures
- People basics – employees, freelancers and consultants, how to incentivize and retain key individuals
- IP basics – IP overview, understanding what you own and how to exploit and protect it
28 May 2019
Creative Startup Essentials – Finance Basics with Shaun Beaney, ICAEW & Martin Carruthers, Grant Thornton
- Accounting basics – information tracking, bookkeeping and financial planning
- Tax basics – corporate tax overview, HMRC, VAT, SEIS
- Fundraising basics – business plan and pitch deck, friends and family, angel investment, startup loans (crowdfunding to be mentioned but not covered in detail)