Courses | Startup Essentials | In Partnership with the Design Museum
Design MuseumNovember 06, 2018
18:30 - 20:00
- 224-238 Kensington High St, London, W8 6AG£90/£75 for Creative Entrepreneurs Members
How do you turn a creative idea into a successful business? Discover the basics of starting up a business on this practical 3-part course presented by Creative Entrepreneurs.
Through the three seminar discussions below, led by industry experts and hands-on activities, participants will learn the skills and knowledge they need to begin to turn their creative ideas into business reality.
Session One: How to NetworkTuesday 6th Novemberby Carolyn Dailey, Founder of Creative Entrepreneurs
• Overview – what makes things happen today - the power of connection
• Preparation – defining goals, research, preparing marketing materials
• Networking in action – lay of the land, strategies & techniques
• Harnessing trust & reciprocity – cultivating long-term relationships
Session Two: Legal Basics for Creative StartupsTuesday 13th November
• What are the common characteristics of creative industry businesses?
• Company basics - key considerations on setting up, organisation and share structures
• People basics – employees, freelancers & consultants how to incentivise and retain key creative individuals
• IP basics – IP overview, understanding what you own and how to exploit and protect it
Session Three: Financial Basics for Creative Start-UpsTuesday 20th Novemberby Shaun Beaney, Institute of Chartered Accountants
• Accounting basics – information tracking & financial planning
• Tax basics – corporate tax overview, HMRC, VAT, SEIS
• Fundraising basics – friends & family, angel investment, startup loans (crowdfunding to be mentioned, but not covered in detail)