Courses | Startup Essentials | In Partnership with the Design Museum
The Design MuseumOctober 23, 2017
18:15 - 20:30
- 224-238 Kensington High St, London, W8 6AG£90/£75 for concessions
How do you turn a creative idea into a successful business? Discover the basics in starting up a business on this practical course.
Curated by Creative Entrepreneurs, this three-part course will cover several essential aspects of setting up a creative business: how to network effectively, legal basics, and finance. Through seminar discussions led by experts and hands-on activities, participants will learn the skills and knowledge they need to begin to turn their creative ideas into business reality.
Section One: How to Network
Monday 23rd October
• Overview – what makes things happen today - the power of connection
• Preparation – defining goals, research, preparing marketing materials
• Networking in action – lay of the land, strategies & techniques
• Harnessing trust & reciprocity – cultivating long-term relationships
This session is led by Carolyn Dailey, Founder of Creative Entrepreneurs.
Section Two: Legal Basics for Creative Startups
Monday 30th October
• What are the common characteristics of creative industry businesses?
• Company basics - key considerations on setting up, organisation and share structures
• People basics – employees, freelancers & consultants how to incentivise and retain key creative individuals
• IP basics – IP overview, understanding what you own and how to exploit and protect it
Section Three: Financial Basics for Creative Start-Ups
Monday 6th November
• Accounting basics – information tracking & financial planning
• Tax basics – corporate tax overview, HMRC, VAT, SEIS
• Fundraising basics – friends & family, angel investment, startup loans (crowdfunding to be mentioned, but not covered in detail)